Kadampa Meditation Center CO Dowtown!
On June 1st, 2015 we signed a lease for 3 years on a new commercial space right in the heart of downtown, at 1336 Glenarm Place. Our hope and expectation is that this new development will help Buddhism, meditation, and inner peace flourish in Denver and Colorado for years to come.
This attractive, modern, newly renovated space can seat up to 120 people (on wide, comfortable chairs!) and also has a bigger area for socializing, kids’ classes, and a bookstore.
As of December, we have beautiful large statues of Buddha Shakyamuni, Buddha Tara, and Buddha Avalokiteshvara, well worth seeing. The Center is located in an historic brick building, the former Denver Press Club, opposite the Denver Athletic Club.
We are able to reach many people interested in meditation due to the visibility and central location, exactly as we wanted with a city center. You can get here by car (parking options here), by public transport, by bike, by foot.
We are modern Buddhism in action, offering inner peace and the methods for finding great happiness to people in all walks of life. It feels as if we are now poised to enter mainstream Denver, and the potential is enormous. The Founder of our tradition (which has 1,000 centers worldwide), Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, says he is “very happy” and “delighted” with this development.
We will also continue to hold Tuesday events and some other retreats at our current location at Marion Street.
Come visit many times, this is your Center!
We hope you will feel very much at home in our peaceful oasis in the heart of the city. Please let all your friends know about it. And let us know if you have any questions at all.
KMC Colorado Downtown is very close to many people who may like to learn meditation, including students, employees, residents, shoppers, and tourists. It is a stone’s throw from:
- 16th Street Mall (popular destination, place of employment and residency for many)
- Civic Center Park (home of the art museum, library, Court House, and State Capitol)
- Auraria Campus (student population 42,000 with 5,000 faculty and staff)
- Convention Center (includes a light rail stop)
- Performing Arts Complex
What KMC Colorado offers:
KMC Downtown (1336 Glenarm Pl.)
- Wednesday night Meditations for Everyone, perfect for anyone interested in learning to meditate.
- Thursday night A Course in Modern Buddhism, intermediate level class.
- Sunday morning Meditations for a Happy Life & Kids’ Class (in different rooms).
- Lunchtime Meditations, Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Free Fridays ~ free Lunchtime Meditation and free Happiness Hour, to catch folks on their way home.
- Foundation Program/Teacher Training Program – advanced classes on Sunday late afternoons
- Twice-monthly Saturday Workshops
- Various Pujas (chanted prayer sessions)
KMC Cap Hill on Tuesdays (1081 Marion St.)
- Buddhist Meditations evening class at 7-8.30pm
- Lunchtime Meditation
- Various Pujas (chanted prayer sessions) and Retreats
We expect some ongoing experimentation for the first year. We are very open to hearing your suggestions for improvement.
We greatly value our regular members because you make it possible for us to plan and expand. We also especially welcome and need your continued help as Sangha friends, welcoming new people. Imagine if all of us fulfilled our spiritual potential, what a different place this world would be!
We are still looking in the immediate term for 29 new members to bring our total new membership up to 100, which will make our new space and expanded program easily affordable. If you are not a member yet, please do consider becoming one! This supports the Center and also makes it feel even more like your spiritual home.
We are a non-profit and have only 3 full-time employees, who get paid a small stipend, so we rely very much upon volunteers for most things! Please contact us if you want to join in. Our volunteer coordinator is Malerie Bleich.
We have been at the receiving end of so much kindness, including from all our regulars, past and present, who have been searching for a space for many years. Now we are able to afford a new space and have found the perfect spot, so we feel very fortunate. Even our new landlord said, “My goal is your happiness.”
Thank you to all of you who come along to the Center, whether occasionally or regularly, for your support. In 3 years’ time, if all goes well, we may be in a position to buy our own place and have even more of what we need, including a parking lot. But for now this is as perfect as it gets.
1336 Glenarm Place, Denver, CO 80204